Monday, March 02, 2009

87p Lettuce

I've just been shopping in ASDA and the woman at the till informed me that carrier bags were no longer being provided. I didn't mind because I always bring with me the bags that you can fold and put in your handbag, but the woman behind me was outraged. She went on a rant explaining that seeing as she was probably overcharged for her lettuce but has no way of knowing, she would at least like a bloody bag to carry the lettuce home in. I agreed. But then the woman at the till explained that ASDA has stopped providing plastic bags to help the environment. I agreed with that aswel.

Hoooooooowever.... I'm very environmentally friendly. I recycle, I buy recycled loo roll for heavens sake, but I think I mostly agree with the customer here. If I'm paying 87p for a lettuce that's worth 57p then I'd like to be offered a means of getting the lettuce home safely! There could have been a better way to execute this, rather than one day ASDA offering you a bag and the next day making you pay for one, they should have given out free re-usable bags to ease in the change, because what is going to happen will be a disaster. Every day staff at ASDA will face angry customers, and rightly so. Because as such a big supermarket chain, ASDA also stands to save a lot of money by no longer having to make bags. The extra 30p that I'm being charged for my lettuce would have covered the costs for the bags ASDA would have provided me with.

I went on a rant, but I suppose what I'm trying to say is; If we don't get a bag for our lettuce, shouldn't it cost us less?

No comments: