Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Telemarket my arse!

Ya'know. I was sitting quietly in my room the other night minding my own buisness when the phone rang. I answered it, as you do, only to hear a completely unfamiliar voice asking me my bank details.

Excuse me?

It was an indian man claiming that he was actually doing research for the bank I was with.

Yeah, pull the other one pal.

He proceeded to witter on for a moment until I got bored and stopped him midsentance, he wasn't very pleased but then neither was I. This is my house. My phone. My bank. MY MONEY.

I told him, as politely as I could muster that unless he got the fuck off my line I'd pull the plug on my personal alarm and hold it to the phone.

That seemed to do the trick. I don't think he wanted to mess with 140 decibells.

After my little stint with the indian home invader I came online and did a little research, found some intresting statistics too.

1) 56% of the people targeted by telemarketers are 50 or older
2) Charities make more money from selling your name and number to the other telemarketing companies than from the donations they collect from calling.
3) Telemarketing is a $400 billion a year business.

Interesting, so remember if you think it's too good to be true then it usually is.

1 comment:

Ethereal Darkness said...

You should've told him there was a man with a gun in your house and you didn't know what to do.