Saturday, January 28, 2006

You stink!


I have an extremely strong sense of smell .

It's true.

If I'm sitting on the bus and somebody smells.

Which is more often than not, on a bus, right?

Then I start to feel sick, and if the smell is of a woman's over powering perfume then it gives me headache. I read somewhere that smell is linked with memory... that one simple scent can trigger memories of past experiences or create them. I guess that's true... because of my strong sense of smell I often associate smells with certain things in my life, her scent makes me feel comforted it's familiar and always welcome and it isn't JUST her perfume or soap or shampoo because if someone else wore those things the scent wouldn't have the same effect.

Apparently our sense of smell is 10,000 times more sensative than any other sense other senses like touch and taste must travel through the body via neurons and the spinal cord before reaching the brain whereas our sense of smell extends directly to the brain.

I'm only mentioning this because, a guy I met the other day smelt of an aftershave my brother used to use when he was in his teens.... it reminded me to ring him.

No comments: